Monday, February 10, 2014

Powertex and Jewelry Resin - PART ONE

I hope these new Jewelry Resin filled bezels caught your eye today.
 In my quest to find new and interesting bezels to work in I came across another product that I can add to my resin creation repertoire.
 This project begins with some of my favorite things; vintage, handmade sewn trims and linens.  I collect these.
I poured some black Powertex into a tray and soaked my pieces in it.   Powertex is a highly versatile product that makes most porous surfaces hard and weather resistant. This amazing product gives form and structure to cloth, paper, wood, gauze, concrete, plush toys, cardboard and more.  You can read more about it here.

 I decided to suspend my trims in a silicone baking tray.  This way I could create the shape I needed and also make removing the dried pieces easier.  
 I did one last step before letting my pieces dry.  Since my crocheted pieces have open areas I knew it would not hold my resin until it was lined.  I cut some squares out of a napkin.
 Napkin paper is so thin, but it became super strong soaked in Powertex.
This thin piece of paper then became the liner for my crocheted fragments. I let these Powertex pieces dry overnight.

 The next day I had these truly unique bezels!  Note that only the Powertex soaked into the fabric dried.  The excess dripped to the bottom of my baking tray.
 I coloured my crochet with paints and metallic rub-ons and then I added imagery and inclusions to the bezel shape I created.
 I poured Jewelry Resin into the new bezel and it cured beautifully!
What I love the most about this technique is how beautiful my trims look.  All their detail is intact and I have created one of a kind bezels.  It is safe to say that I will be doing a number of Powertex experiments in the next few months!

Read More!
There is a second post showing you the felted collar I created to showcase one of the bezels.
There is a third post showing you the brooch I created to showcase the second bezel.

No comments:

Post a Comment