Thursday, September 16, 2010

Vintage Ribbon Beads


There are days when everything you try just works out. That has been the case for me ever since I took the fabric bead class this August with Alma. I knew this was a road I would go down simply because I had been collecting items for it for a decade. These are new beads I hand sewed with vintage ribbons from France.


Yesterday I finished the necklace. It is over the top I know. Each bead prettier than the next.
I bought the vintage ribbon in Paris at the big antique market. These are the ribbon samplers that a sales person would have had when they were visiting store keepers. You have the same pattern in many different colours.

For these beads, I used a small portion of each of these sample ribbons. Jacquard ribbon is so lush and thick. I always knew that one day I would do something special with these pieces.

This is what makes my heart race in Paris. Boxes of vintage ribbons and millinery supplies. My sample ribbons were very expensive. Today I know they were worth every penny! I am so glad I didn't put them back after picking them out of a bin. I could never have made these beads look this way without these unique patterns.

The rose was the one feature on the ribbon I tried to keep as is. I sewed beads all over the bead and thoroughly enjoyed the process.
Placed on one of my collages I thought how perfect this quote was for my life.
I love so many things!

12 comments:

  1. Those are amazing. I hope to see them in person, on you, some day! Having been to Paris and seen only some of your "lovely" places, I can really appreciate how difficult is was to choose and then render such a magical piece. This one is TRULY amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely beads! My fingers are really itching to give ribbon bead making a try.

    And, yes, I envy all you who've been to Paris. I want to go there too! (Of cause by train, the only way to travel that I enjoy.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, you are a crafting wonder! In my mind, you are sitting on a beaded/glittery pedestal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your beads and necklace are both stunning! The ribbon is lovely and you had a good eye for finding the right use for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The necklace is a genuine piece of art! The ribbons you used are fabulous and the overall effect breath-taking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Paula Lee M.September 18, 2010

    OMG! These are gorgeous. I have been wanting to make some fabric beads for a while now but was unsure if I could. But your beads and experiences are an inspiration. Thanks for sharing. I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are just beautiful! I love them all and the finished necklace is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG they are absolutely divine!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I adore these beads. Your best jewelry yet in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete