Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Orthoceras Fossil Necklace


Ordinarily, I have not been attracted to items that are fossils.
That all changed when I found this pendant at my local haunt, Antiques on Queen in Port Hope.

It didn't look real....but it didn't look fake.
I was intrigued.


I discovered quite a few more of them searching online.

"Orthoceras ("straight horn") is a genus of extinct nautiloid cephalopod. This genus is sometimes called Orthoceratites.  Orthoceras fossils are common and have a global distribution, occurring in any marine rock, especially in limestone."

Wikipedia has this as the artist rendering of what the species would have looked like.
I am very pleased to have a fossil in my jewelry collection now.


I chose to string my necklace with two sizes of John Bead Fire and Ice Agate beads.
The howlite agate set off the fossil beautifully.



No comments:

Post a Comment