Monday, October 05, 2015

The Minting of the 1939-1945 Star

I have just remounted these four medallions.
They were a unique auction purchase several years ago. 
I decided I should finally reframe them now that I am in my new studio.


We originally found this frame with the label saying "Minting of the 1939-1945 Star.
It was so unique.  
Since it was a work in progress, I knew I was not purchasing a family heirloom.  
I was very interested in the metalsmithing that was required to make a star.




I am not sure when I would have had the opportunity to see something like this.
I have since read that the 1939-1945 Star was given out in the countries participating in WWII.




Canadian Veteran Affairs states that the Star was awarded for six months service on active operations for Army and Navy, and two months for active air-crew between 02 September 1939 and 08 May 1945 (Europe) or 02 September 1945 (Pacific).
The ribbon consists of three equal stripes: dark blue, red, and light blue (representing the navy, army and air force).

No comments:

Post a Comment