Saturday, May 16, 2015

Handcrafted Lace from Brugge


I have admired fine detailed lace work for many years.  These beautiful pieces of jewelry were on display in a store in Brugge, Belgium, a place where lacework is still appreciated and crafted.


The owner of the store and the artisan gave me a demonstration of her lacemaking.


She moved her spools so quickly I could not capture it clearly in a photo.  I really should have video taped it so you could see and hear the speed and clicking sounds.


I found the prices to be extremely reasonable given the work involved.


I did collect quite a few pieces for myself.


Here is just one piece of lace in progress.


The framed example is how I feel about this lacework.  I consider them to be tiny works of art.


For this reason, whenever I find hand made lace or tatting unloved or damaged in antique stores I feel compelled to protect and recycle them in some way.


This year I am part of Stitched.
If you would like to learn how I permanently encase fibers in resin you will love the class I created for Alma Stoller's program this year.



No comments:

Post a Comment