Sunday, August 03, 2014

The Queen Of The Night!

 I am just home from my folks where we are preparing for the biggest event of 2014.  
I am now "on call" and on alert for a night time call about this plant; 
The Queen of The Night.
Then, I will be speeding to my parents to document this very rare, night time blooming plant.  
Some people refer to this plant as a vampire, since it only comes alive at night.   I keep jokingly asking them after the vampire in their backyard.
The Queen of the Night cactus (Epiphyllum oxypetalum) has frequently been the guest of honor at late-night parties, since it performs only during the dark hours. It flaunts fragrant white flowers up to 1 foot long.   Apparently, it is worth waiting up for. 
Rumour has it that they will only bloom once, 
so I can't miss this.
 My Dad has a very green thumb.  How he managed to grow this plant in our Northern climate is beyond my comprehension.  We are so excited to see what will happen this year!
They live smack dab in the middle of Toronto.
This flower should be a foot wide!!
I'll happily keep you posted.
I call my Dad's garden:
The Island of Misfit Garden Ornaments.  
He has many ornaments scattered throughout the back yard and truly enjoys planting strange and odd groupings.  The ornaments even seem more alert in anticipation of this flowering.
Benny's Garden 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment