Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Martha Stewart Punches - A Small Review

I swore I would not buy any more Martha punches. The two that I bought when she originally launched her craft line punched horribly. In fact, they hardly punched at all, especially the one inch circle which always tore the edge of every punched paper circle.

But like most companies, things change, manufacturers might get replaced and then I noticed this new grouping of punches. Corners and the edging all in one set.

They were on sale so I bought them and tested them on a few different types of paper last night.

I was so surprised that they worked. I have learned that you need to work with even sized papers to get a good clean edge all the way around. So 5 x 5 and 4 x 4 inches worked the best as starting papers.

In layers they are very pretty lace edges.

I opted to add a little decoupage girl to one card.

I used glitter and a card stock image on the second. I wanted you to see the top paper (light green) on this card. The punch overlapped and created these odd edges, but I was okay with it. That's when I realized it was harder to work with papers that were not an even measurement to start.

For very special cards I will use these again. I don't think I could use them in my production work though. They are still a little finicky and thicker card stock definitely gets stuck in the punches.

5 comments:

  1. I saw those on sale too but I didn't buy them because I have had trouble with other punches in the past. But I might pick up a set...they are sooo pretty when they do work! Lovely cards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. És preciòs. Gràcies per l'esplicació. Feliç any nou.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They do look nice - might make me think about that line again. The first ones I had of Martha Stewarts broke quickly - and I am not hard on tools. Your cards look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you on the stickyness of the punches, it's a limited uses with them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carmi, I hate to admit it but I purchased a couple of those and never even tried them.....now that I see your gorgeous creations, I'm going to dig them out of my drawer and give them a go. I just hope I have the newer version....

    Have a Happy New Year!
    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete