Friday, August 13, 2010

The Decay Is So Gorgeous

This is just an everyday window I passed in Paris.
I love the stone and grill and how the plants seem to be caring for themselves. One shutter is gone but the other hangs off to the side with the lovely peeling paint technique which is virtually impossible to replicate. In Paris, I see the beauty of the window.
Here in Toronto I think differently.
I would immediately be concerned about the stone work. I would only see the weather damage. The windows would all need replacing. The shutter would come down immediately. I would imagine the cracks were contributing to inside water damage. In other words, this is not a fixer upper. This is probably going to need rebuilding. In North America we don't tolerate shabby. Even if it is beautiful.

1 comment: