Friday, October 03, 2014

KLIK Vintage Imagery Statement Necklace How-to

My “Vintage Imagery Statement Necklace” with Metal Complex DIY klik© Interchangeable Jewelry Components is on the cover of this month’s Perles et Cetera Magazine.  This gorgeous magazine is published in French, so here is an English translation.

The DIY jewelry making audience continues to grow and allowing new jewelry makers the opportunity to combine finished jewelry components with pieces they can design themselves is what the new Metal Complex klik© product line is designed to do.  You can easily design and complete a project in minutes or hours.  The choice is yours by incorporating finished components with items you create yourself.
Unique statement necklaces are still a very popular trend this fall.  Creating pieces that are changeable will keep your jewelry options fresh and allow you to mix and match with your wardrobe. You can wear bright colours or crystals or both!  You can personalize your pieces with beads, buttons, tiny components, miniatures, photos and even other jewelry by gluing these pieces into blank snap bases.
The necklace I have designed features unique resin filled bezel snaps that I can mix and match with the finished snaps in the klik© interchangeable jewelry line.  The options are limitless!  Once you design your own klik© one-of-a kind snaps it is easy to then add them to a finished klik© necklace, earring, key chains, cuffs, bracelets and more.
My necklace begins with some vintage magazines from France.  The September 1907 Paris issue of “Le Rire” had a gorgeous illustration of two women sitting in a park.  I scanned that image and shrunk it to size in Photoshop.  You can see from my picture of my computer screen that I sized circle images that would fit into my blank snap bezels.
I printed my images and cut them.
I glued my ladies into place and then sealed the paper imagery with several layers of a clear drying decoupage medium.  I also glued-in some rhinestone chain.  Since the snaps do not lie flat, I set up some cardboard spacers on my workbench.  Now I can pour resin into the snaps.
Resin is easy to mix and pour.  Simply follow the manufacturer’s instructions and you will have gorgeous finished pieces like these.
I selected these finished components from the Metal Complex klik© product range. I love that I can simply change the components by adding or subtracting sections. The earrings are the perfect addition to my finished necklace design.  Now I have dozens of options to play with.
I used jump rings to join my necklace components.  Flat nose pliers are the only tools I needed for this step.
By selecting a chain that was made from links I could easily shorten or lengthen my necklace.
Now I can use all my personalized snap bezels in the necklace or mix and match with the earrings option.
The Metal Complex Blog has a list of items used to make this.

No comments:

Post a Comment