Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Looking For Auguste Renoir

It is because of Renoir that we rented a car and decided to drive 2 1/2 hours south west of Paris to see his village and to pay our respects at his grave site.
It took almost as long to get out of Paris as it did to drive along these beautiful country roads to get to our destination.
 Having our own car meant we could stop anywhere to take pictures.  This is indeed a luxury.
The village we were seeking was ESSOYES.  There isn't a train or bus that goes there from Paris.  I think that will change now.  I bet many people will be driving along these roads to see the new Renoir Cultural Centre.
And this is Champagne country too!  There are many stops you could make along the way.
 We chose to stop and make new friends.  This white horse really wanted to come with us on our adventure.
 Renoir's grave is beautiful.  It is well cared for and the cemetery is immaculate.
We had the entire exhibit to ourselves!  This is the new cultural centre and 10 minutes away you can visit his studio and garden.
 I just had to add myself to this 3d collage.
It really is worth the drive to Essoyes!  I love to see the same sites artists immortalize in their paintings. The village was lovely and perhaps tomorrow I'll post pictures of our amazing luncheon!

4 comments:

  1. what a wonderful way to spend the day, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really enjoying your visit to Paris and environs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What amazing pictures Carmi. It's really fun to see where you have been.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello fellow Torontonian Carmi,

    I was recently in Paris on the trail of the artists and had a bittersweet afternoon in Auvers-sur-Oise. I really like your blog.

    www.cpparisnotebook.blogspot.com is where I keep my Paris musings.

    ReplyDelete