Saturday, December 18, 2010

Cigarette Card Elephant - Yes The Pattern Works!

Oh my, he is as cute as I had thought he would be.

What does a crafter do when they find they have a whole Friday night to themselves?

I decided to see if I could sew up an elephant!

The pattern was on this 1 x 3 inch vintage cigarette card. I blew it up and printed it on a piece of paper. I cut all the pattern pieces out of some felt I had in my stash. I wish I had some gray felt...but who knew I would be sewing an elephant this weekend?


I have never sewn a stuffed toy like this. There are no instructions, so you really have to wing it.

When I got to this point it felt like I was about to stuff a turkey. I had sewed everything on my machine, but from this point on it would have to be all hand stitching.

The ears really made it look like an elephant. I added some eyes and defined the feet like they did in the picture. I can't tell you how many times I had to look at their illustration.

The highlight for me was creating this little cape/saddle. I also opted to make his tusks out of some gold leather.

My final great idea was to use this bit of beading for his tale. I love him! Even if he would end up on the island of misfit toys!

18 comments:

  1. That is the cutest elephant I have ever seen. Well done, Carmi. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's adorable, and the tail is just perfect! I had a whole book of these toys when a child (you traced the patterns) and I remember that you did blanket stitch to seam them together, using embroidery thread. Your finish is WAY nicer!

    Such a sweet idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe you made that from no real instructions. Well, yes I can and I LOVE him. He is without a doubt devine. Love the tail and the sweet, gentle face. He'd better not end up on a pile of misfits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is gorgeous! Now I have to try to make one...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely adorable! What a fun Friday night!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute elephant, Carmi. You did an excellent job and I like him in the tan felt. Wishing you and your loved ones a blessed holiday season.
    Hugs
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  7. I sure hope one of you guys tries to make one! I might do another one using fabric instead of felt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. He is adorable Carmi. I'm going to leave sewing to the experts. If I try my hand at it...the trunk might become one of the legs. (It reminds when Denise tried to sew Theo a shirt in the Cosby Show)...that would be me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is adorable! You took a risk trying it, but it turned out wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. He's adorable!

    Isn't it bizarre to find a children's toy pattern on a cigarette card? Times certainly have changed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. love the elephant - too cute - kudos - love fellow GTA bloggers

    I invite you to check out my blog

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this little guy. I want to make one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. so so so cute Carmi!!! the tail addition is great, as are the wee little toes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This elephant is so cute! I am making him!! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Carmi. I love to make stuff like this and was wondering if I could use this nice simple pattern with brown felt to make a woolly mammoth. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am sure the pattern can be adapted. Adding extra horns would make it very different.

    ReplyDelete