Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Wall Decor Remake

This is a little wall dangle I made. Well, it can go on the wall or on a jacket. It was inspired by something I picked up at an antique market last year.

This is the original brocade ribbon dangle that I purchased at the antique market. It is about 2 feet long and the brooch, although it looks very heavy is actually plastic and thin brass. I imagine this was the type of wall decor that was hung on an archway/doorway or maybe next to some other art. It's pretty dusty. But I could see how fabulous it would have looked when it was brand new.

For the project I pulled out some of my own brocade ribbons and then decided on this beautiful paisley piece. I made the button of the lady with the mask and found this gold cabochon setter in my stash. I didn't want to use a tassel at the bottom of my piece so I looked through my drawers for something else. There are always left over single jewels or resin baubles I have made that are looking for a home.

Brocade is hard to work with because as soon as you cut it the edges start to fray. So I made my bottom point by gluing it in place with fabric glue. Then the back didn't look very pretty so I glued on some felt to completely back it.

This little project was very relaxing for me. It is on my wall next to other experiments. I may make a dozen more now as card embellishments. I think I have figured out a few more shortcuts. In the mean time I'll have my version to enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Very nice, Carmi. I just love stash crafting. You never know what little gems you'll come across in your stash and how beautifully they can come together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete