Did you know there was a
Children's Arts Tax Credit (CATC)?
Did you have your kids in any sort of an artistic camp, class or spring break program in 2011?
I didn't know about the CATC and it is worth up to $500.
Here is the link.
I just learned about it at our Canadian Craft and Hobby Association meeting today.
Here are some highlights:
To be eligible, a program must be supervised and suitable for children. Eligible programs include:
- a weekly program of a minimum eight consecutive weeks duration in which a minimum of 90% of all the activities are eligible activities;
- a program of a minimum five consecutive days duration in which more than 50% of the daily activities are eligible activities;
- a program of a minimum eight consecutive weeks duration offered to children by a club, association or similar organization offering a variety of different activities when more than 50% of the activities offered are eligible activities or more than 50% of the time scheduled for activities offered to children is for activities that are eligible activities (if both 50% tests are not met, a prorated portion of the fees will be allowed, representing the percentage of eligible activities offered by the organization or the percentage of time scheduled for these activities by the organization); and
- a membership of a minimum eight consecutive weeks duration in an organization if more than 50% of all the activities offered to children by the organization are eligible activities (if the 50% test is not met, a prorated portion of the fees will be allowed, representing the percentage of eligible activities offered to children by the organization).
Eligible activities will include an activity that:
- contributes to the development of creative skills or expertise in artistic or cultural activities;
- provides a substantial focus on wilderness and the natural environment;
- helps children develop and use particular intellectual skills;
- includes structured interaction among children where supervisors teach or help children develop interpersonal skills; or
- provides enrichment or tutoring in academic subjects.