Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Where Can I Buy Asbestos?

I was looking through some clip art images and came across this page. I think these were the illustrations and the actual instructions must have been on another page. I thought there were some really cute ideas and this is definitely a good example of how to recycle old boxes and other packaging.
The simple tree card really caught my eye.
But on closer inspection I noticed that I need asbestos to complete one project. When I read "asbestos" I thought of all the health issues associated with asbestos in homes. But then I remembered that asbestos is also a fire retardant, so I think the sample above is for a cute little pot holder. I can't imagine a time when people might have had easy access to asbestos to complete a craft project.

6 comments:

  1. My mo used to walk home from school everyday past an asbestos factory in Quebec. She said it was so very soft to the touch. Now we know how awful it can be for our health. Today you would just use batting with a shiny side to it for hot pads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember one Christmas back in the early 60's my Mom putting "angel hair" on the tree. It was shinny white long stands of a long fiber. It was actually very pretty when the lights shined one it. Later in life I have learned this was made from "asbestos" Wonder if the heat from the lights made it any more or less hazardous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I have to tell you, I use to buy asbestos by the lb. at the local hardware store. My sisters and I made volcanos and other stuff with it. Imagine that!. So yes, indeed it was used for crafts. I'm not so old either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went online and read about the history of Asbestos. It was very interesting that something that was thought to be so pretty ultimately became something so awful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Travis MichaelNovember 17, 2010

    Asbestos is really not something to fool around with. It can cause some really devastating diseases such as asbestosis, lung cancer and mesothelioma. Also troubling about this stuff is that some of these diseases take decades to surface, meaning early exposure might come back to haunt you much later in your life. I work with Meso RC, http://www.mesorc.com/, and I have seen the destructive force of these conditions, so I suggest you find a substitute material that is not so toxic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Travis, rest assured I am not looking for asbestos anytime soon...it was a little sarcasm in my blog post. We have so many fire repellent fabrics in most fabric shops now that it would be no trouble doing so without using asbestos.

    ReplyDelete