Thursday, July 16, 2009

Rub Ons Plus Leather Equals a Cuff

I have a new bracelet! It is light as a feather.

It all began when I pulled out my Dove of the East Rub on sheet. I carry all the Dove of The East products in my web store, but sometimes I forget to use them for myself. I also have the matching clear stamps for the Russian theme I love.



As you can see, I used my rub-on sheet and one of the stamps (on #2 and #4) on these leather medallions. The rub-ons were a little tricky to work with...leather doesn't really provide them with an easy surface to cling to....but I made it work.


I realized I would have to protect the rub-ons somehow. So rummaging through my glues I found a very old bottle of Simple Solutions for fabric. This glue was designed to work with Luminarte's pigment powders. When I applied the glue to my medallions...I had to run away. It was so bubbly that I was sure I had ruined them.

But they dried beautifully! Inspired I pulled out some of the powders and decided to make some fabric paint so I could add some tiny details. This was a fun addition and made me feel like I was really adding my own flair to each piece.

I found this leather belt attachment in my sewing drawer. I thought it would make the perfect bracelet addition.

I threaded my finished leather pieces onto a thin strip of leather and then sewed the ends in place to the black belt. HMMMMM. Love it. But It needs just one more thing.....

Rhinestones!
I have a rhinestone setter so I finally got to use it! I added these gold rhinestones since they picked up the colours nicely.

The cuff looks so pretty when I wear it.
This is the matching paper to the rub-ons I used.
My Russian paper inspired cuff was a very relaxing project. I will use these techniques for some card embellishments next.

19 comments:

Bobbi said...

Hi, Wow...very sharp cuff! Great idea, I love it! Have a great day!
Hugs...

nancy said...

just stunning!

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Wow, what a fun idea, I love this look! Thanks so much for sharing this, I'll be linking.

black_sun said...

Ahh, that's great, I love it... and russian... Thumbs up :)

me again said...

oh, it's sooo pretty!

martha brown said...

Wow -- very lovely, Carmi!!

MaBaker said...

That's a really fun idea! A must-try =)

Carmi said...

Thanks friends...I have loads of different rub ons still to test!

Lisa said...

Yes, yes, yes!! I LOVE this! Wow, that is so cool, I think I'd have trouble taking it off at night. I'd want to wear it all the time!!

Rebekah said...

I LOVE this project! It is so beautiful. I did not know Dove of the East had rub-ons! Thanks for sharing.

Suze said...

drooling again !

Valerie A. Heck said...

What a gorgeous cuff! It must be comfortable to wear too.
Valerie
http://valerieaheck.blogspot.com/

Nerissa Alford said...

simply stunning! that's one pretty cuff. i can't wait to see what else you come up with.
Nerissa

Jeannie said...

It's so fun to explore and experiment. I've had many happy accidents.
This bracelet is truly an exploration of creativity. Awesome!

Harry Thomos said...

This cuff is really looking cool and sexy...

Thanks for sharing...
Mens Leather Bombers Jackets, Womens Leather Blazers Online, Leather Skirts, Leather Jackets

Heather - Dollarstorecrafts.com said...

This is so pretty! I'm linking up this weekend at http://dollarstorecrafts.com

Leather Skirts said...

Awesome stuff. Love your bracelets.What a nice sharing of Bracelets designs..

Leather Jacket said...

Amazing designer leather equal cuff, i like your post....

Leather jackets said...

great idea!! n very creative. thank u sooooooooo much for sharing.