Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Claudine Hellmuth New Products Experiment

I have had an idea pinging around in my head for weeks.
Last night I finally got to try my experiment. The result was this new necklace. What's great about it is that I used Claudine Hellmuth's new paints and canvas to make it! (and a little gold embossing powder)

I just put the sticky back canvas into my web store, so I wanted to have a sample I could stand behind.

Ever since I saw Claudine demo her new paints and multi medium at the Craft and Hobby show, I have been wanting to do a little of my own experimenting. The paint colours I just love but it was the sticky back canvas that caught my attention. I selected the pink and green paints because they are two of my favorites from her collection.

Claudine came up with a resist technique using her multi medium. (featured many time on her blog). I applied some multi medium randomly on this foam stamp. I didn't want the actual design to be shown on the canvas, but I did want some areas to remain white. I heat set this before the next step.

I watered down the paint just a little bit and brushed it onto the canvas. As you can see, the areas with the multi medium "resisted the paint."

Then I pulled out a favorite rubber stamp from Christina's collection. I embossed with gold powder several times on both colours of paint. The powder heat set beautifully.

Now the fun began. I pulled out these copper wire circles. I assume they are normally used to make earrings...but for me, I prefer to turn them into a pendant. I also selected some fabric to "back" each circle I planned to cut from the canvas.

Once I selected the areas I wanted to feature, I cut circles out of the canvas. Then I removed the sticky back liner paper and stuck the circles right down onto the fabric...since they stuck in place, I could just use my scissors to cut the final backed circle out.

And then the experiment. How would sticky back do in the sewing machine?
Trust me, I have seen many a needle jam on my machine...so I was prepared for a little bit of a fight. THERE WAS NO PROBLEM!! Yippee. The sewing machine went through the canvas easily...even when I tested out the special embroidery stitches.!

My next step was to hand sew the canvas I cut to the copper wired circles. A breeze.

I connected the canvas pendants to a simple copper chain...and VOILA. Another wearable piece of jewelery made with the things I already have in my studio. No one will have a necklace like it. My next experiment will involve me sending the canvas through my printer. Claudine's site lists where to buy everything, but if you are in Canada I can easily mail you the canvas if you want to start experimenting with it too.

14 comments:

claudine hellmuth said...

AMAZING!!! i love it!!!

christina said...

SO cool!!! Love it =)
p.s. Thanks for using one of my favorite stamps too!

hugs and missing you in getting cold Vancouver.

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

That is so cool! Really unique! I'll be linking to this.

Talking Horses Arts said...

Awesome!!!Visited Claudine Hellmuth site may times and was wodering about her book. Now I HAVE to go and get it!! Thanks for sharing!!!Beautiful!
Andrea.

Talking Horses Arts said...

Ok..I am a bad speller..sorry!

Carmi said...

Andrea...me too. Without spell check I am lost.

Suze said...

just back from several days away and catching up on your blog....always amazed at your fabulous discipline...the necklace is totally amazing ! YOU are amazing !!!

Lisa PN said...

Wow!
This is amazing!
I must admit that i have been reading your blog for quite some time and am so inspired by all of your work, especially in regards to fabric!
I have a stash of fancy fabrics that i might have to start playing with soon! Thanks for the inspiration!

Diana said...

Love the colors, Carmi, and concept! Sounds as though you have been having a great time experimenting with Claudine's new products. You go girl! Happy holidays!
Diana

diane cook said...

Aren't you the clever one! Great project, and wonderful tutorial!

Susan Williamson said...

What a fantastic project Carmi. Thanks for sharing all the steps.
P.S. The necklace looks great against your pink blouse.

Carmi said...

Thanks everyone...this project was fun!

Tammy said...

I would have thought you'd have trouble with the machine too. I have so many needles with goop on them! Interesting project and mix of techniques.

Anonymous said...

Hi Carmi,

Would you let us know what you do about the Artist doll? I think I have one -- only mine has the palette and brush. I don't know why I'm interested in what you decide to do. I guess it just surprised me to see the doll. I got mine about forty years ago as a gift. What fun. Pati