Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Saving Crochet Work In Resin

I want to learn to crochet some day. I think most people start with a pot holder and move onto the classic couch blanket. I have a crocheted blanket I forced my mom to make. It is so warm and toasty! I keep telling her my first choice is to have something handmade. She has the skills, but really doesn't enjoy crocheting. She learned how to knit in school in Austria and as a child they had to knit or crochet everything. She swore she would never knit again when she became an adult. In fact, she even threw out all her samples! She did fine crochet work...for hosiery and decorative linens. Sigh. Who knew she would have a daughter searching for hand sewing at antique markets 40 years later....
I found a beautiful table runner with hand crocheted edge work in a basket at an antique store I frequent. Like a lot of old linens, it has some stains and a musty smell. But I knew that someone had spent many hours hand crafting this table topper. I washed it in a special stain remover and let it dry in the sun. This week I finally cut it up into smaller pieces.

These pieces were cut and sewed to gold card stock cut to fit the bezel. Because it stretches so easily, gluing it in place was not going to work...but sewing it to the back of the card stock ensured that I had the pattern where I wanted it. The back ended up looking like a laced shoe. I glued this into the bezel.

Then I tried my experiment. Pouring resin into the bezel. Resin changes the colour of fabric...making it darker, so I wasn't sure what would happen. Plus, this resin pour was not easy! Don't try this as a beginner. There were so many places for air bubbles to hide and that at one point I thought I had ruined the lace completely. Two pours later, I have these unique little pendants. I can't tell you how many times I had to slap my own hand away from adding glitter or a glass bead. I promised myself that I would just let the crochet stand on its own. Difficult for me!



I also used some of the time to glue some these hand crocheted pieces to vintage paper. They are so pretty. I plan to combine the gold bezels with this paper to create some really different cards. They are my salute to crocheters. I'll show you a picture some time next week when everything has truly dried...and I can walk a bit more in my studio.

Meanwhile, I made a few more buttons yesterday. Aren't these fun? While this fabric looks like it was hand sewn, it is commercially made. Faux quilting. Most of the work is already done for you. So I cut out one strip to make these six buttons the same way I made them yesterday. I bet you are thinking about heading to the fabric store right now to get the little button maker!

Finally, June asked to see what my travel box looked like. Here it is...very small and portable. One container. There is enough to do in here to keep me busy for days! Low tech hand sewing art only.

8 comments :

Maria said...

You have been busy my friend. That foot injury could well be a blessing in disguise. But I'm sure it hurts like the dickins. BTW my Mom teaches crochet too :-)

juneh said...

brilliant Carmi, thanks for the pic...I enjoy looking at what others use to create their treasures!-- no matter how primative! lol.

Susan Williamson said...

I know how you must have had to restrain yourself when it came to adding something to your antique lace, but I think it looks wonderful.

TeriB said...

What a lovely idea, as a great way to save something that would otherwise languish until it falls apart! I see keepsakes in your future!
http://wwww.sandtcreations.com/wordpress

dusty said...

You may be able to avoid the colour sift/darkening by "sealing" the fiber with white glue mixed 1/1 with water. Let dry & then pour resin...it works for paper. Will also stiffen design, easier to position.

yesterdaydream said...

Thanks for the tips. What type of resin was used?

Carmi said...

I usually use EnviroTex Lite.

Eileen Bergen said...

The crochet pendants are lovely. What a clever way to showcase bits and pieces like that.